The Extended Work Placement (EWP) programme comprises work-related learning with a local employer, one to two days per week, backed up with classroom work in core subjects. The EWP programme enables students to learn key work and employability skills which will enhance the transition into further education and employment, standing them apart from other candidates.
Students initially take part in a thorough holistic assessment incorporating a health, social, educational and behavioural assessment along with a work personality questionnaire. Once visions and aspirations for future employment are identified, a placement search will commence and an opportunity secured in line with this. The student will attend a placement interview and the necessary arrangements and administration will be completed. Once accessing a placement a student’s attendance will be monitored and reported to school along with regular appraisal feedback from the employer. Following successful completion of an EWP, a student will be issued with a placement certificate along with appraisal certificates gathered over the duration of the placement. Schools will be given the opportunity to deliver certificates in a presentation ceremony and the Connect software will generate statistics in relation to all students who have accessed placements over the academic year.
Benefits to schools and colleges
- An assigned Changing Education representative to monitor student welfare and liaise with both school and the employer
- Possible progression routes identified for vocationally orientated students
- Free access to Connect software to manage, track and evaluate the success of an individual student’s placement
- Attendance and appraisal monitoring
- Competitive pricing structure in relation to other alternative curriculum providers
- Our ‘One Stop Shop’ approach to work-related learning enables school/Ofsted to access information regarding all provision accessed by individual students on one simple profile page. Potentially, a student’s homepage could feature the following:
- career action plan
- work experience placement details and appraisal
- extended work placement details and appraisals
- progress reports in relation to qualifications being accessed
- Our Customers -
“The school is kept very well informed regarding students on placements. We receive email updates as to their attendance whilst on placements, which allows us to follow up any issues. Changing Education will always enquire as to the learning needs a student may have and will find a placement that is suitable. They listen to students and understand their requirements before setting up a placement. From an initial referral, the process of setting up a placement is quick , efficient and simple to follow. Changing Education keep us informed at every stage and use ICT effectively in this process.”